I never truly appreciated this delicious roasted chicken recipe until I got older. I’m not sure why. I think maybe because it just seemed too healthy or too boring compared to all the other fancy and super fattening chicken recipes I knew how to make. However once I learned how versatile this recipe could truly be, it became a regular occurrence in my kitchen. We love it more than the rotisserie chickens from the grocery store deli.
This delicious roasted chicken recipe can be used in so many different ways. My girls love to pull all the meat off the bone and make homemade chicken salad with grapes and pecans. We love homemade chicken salad on my homemade sourdough bread loaf. It is a much healthier alternative for their lunch boxes than some of the other foods they could choose. I also love to roast a chicken and serve it with a side of mashed potatoes and chicken gravy. It definitely meets my down home cooking cravings.
This delicious roasted chicken recipe is also the recipe I use to make chicken and dumplings, and with Thanksgiving just around the corner, I am already planning my infamous chicken and dressing. You would probably be surprised at how easy it is to make.
Healthy Bone Broth
Do you want to know the one single thing I love the most about this delicious roasted chicken recipe? I am left with a chicken carcass that I turn into a super healthy bone broth which is great for that time of the year when I need to feed my body extra goodness to help fight off those winter time yuckies. It is also a GREAT alternative to use in your recipes that call for chicken broth. If I can make it homemade and know exactly what went into it to make it, I will. You just never truly know what you are going to get out of a store bought product, and bone broth is just one of those super easy recipes to make at home.
This roasted chicken recipe could not be easier to make. All you have to do is shove a few things inside the carcass and rub some butter (or olive oil) and seasoning all over the bird. I highly suggest baking it in a cast iron dutch oven if you have one because it helps the skin get crispy and golden brown. My dutch oven is the one single item in my kitchen that I never want to go without. If you do not have a dutch oven that’s okay. Just cook it in a roasting pan on a raised rack, and be sure to baste your chicken at least once an hour during cooking.
Delicious Roasted Chicken Recipe
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven or a Roasting Pan with rack.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Stick Butter or Margarine (room temperature) You can use olive oil if you prefer, but I use plant butter made from olive oil.
- 2 Whole Limes Cut in half
- 4 Fresh Garlic Cloves Peeled
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the limes and the garlic inside the chicken cavity
- Rub the butter or olive oil all over the skin of the chicken
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper all over
- Place chicken directly in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven, or on a rack inside a roasting pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately three hours at 300 degrees. Low and Slow
- If baking in a roasting pan on a rack, be sure to baste the chicken every thirty minutes so that it does not dry out.